Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Manuscript Groups (MG) contain papers from College/University Presidents, Deans, members of the Board of Trustees and the President's Advisory Council, faculty and staff members, and Shriver and Holland, the architectural firm that designed the Virginia Wesleyan master plan. The materials in these collections are organized by individual, and include correspondence, Board of Trustee minutes, reports, and other papers on campaigns or events that occurred during the individual's time at Virginia Wesleyan University. Please see the finding aids for more in-depth information on individual collections.
MG1: Joseph S. Johnston Papers, 1917-2011
Joseph S. Johnston was the first chairman of the Board of Trustees and the first College President. The collection contains correspondence, trustee minutes, and records from the Methodist committees involved in the College's establishment.
MG2: Lambuth McGeehee Clarke Papers, 1966-2006
Lambuth M. Clarke was the College's second President. This collection contains correspondence from his presidency, as well as papers pertaining to his retirement and the establishment of the Lambuth M. Clarke endowed chair in the English department.
MG3: William T. Greer, Jr. Papers, 1992-
William T. Greer, Jr. is the third President of Virginia Wesleyan College. The papers and correspondence in this collection address capital campaigns and the opening of the Clarke, Godwin, and Batten facilities.
MG4: Jerry Garrett Bray, Jr. Papers, 1961-1995
Jerry G. Bray, Jr. was the second chairman of the Board of Trustees. The collection contains correspondence, Board of Trustees minutes, and materials relating to the Beech Forest controversy, the John Wesley Statue, and the 1991-1992 presidential search.
MG5: Robert Friend Boyd Papers, 1960-2005
Robert F. Boyd was a member of the Board of Trustees and served as its first secretary. The correspondence in this collection pertains to the development of the college charter, college publicity, and financial development, including capital campaigns.
MG6: Warren S. Siversten Papers, 1965-1966
Warren S. Siversten served as the first Vice President for Development. The collection contains correspondence, reports to the Board of Trustees, and an "Operations Manual" for the Development Office that deals with budget reports and campus development.
MG7: Harold Blanton Kellam Papers, 1962-1987
Harold B. Kellam served as a member of the President's Advisory Council. This collection contains correspondence relating to the President's Advisory Council and college fund-raising activities.
MG8: Douglas E. McIntyre Papers, 1965-1988
Douglas E. McIntyre served as a member of the Virginia Wesleyan Mathematics faculty. This collection includes materials on student life policies during the College's first year, when McIntyre was the coordinator of student activities.
MG9: James K. Bergdoll Papers, 1966-1999
James K. Bergoll was the College's first Assistant to the President and Director of Development. Later, he became the Vice President for College Relations and Development Emeritus. This collection contains correspondence and materials on church relations.
MG10: William Mack Wilson Papers, 1971-1994
William M. Wilson served as Dean of the College. He oversaw development of the Adult Studies and Wesleyan Scholars programs, as well as expansion of the Learning Center. The collection contains correspondence, as well as obituaries and tributes to Wilson.
MG11: Stephen Scott Mansifeld Papers, 1959-
Stephen S. Mansfield was a member of the History faculty. He served as Vice President for Academic Affairs before becoming College/University Archivist. This collection contains correspondence covering Mansfield's time at VWU and his Methodist Conference activities.
MG12: Shriver and Holland Papers, 1962-1995
Shriver and Holland was a Norfolk-based architectural firm that was awarded the contract in 1962 to design the Virginia Wesleyan master plan. Shriver and Holland designed all of the campus buildings until the 1990s.